For 350 years, Coombe Conduit formed part of a system which collected water from nearby springs and channelled it to Hampton Court Palace. One of three such conduits that supplied the palace, the remaining structure represents an intriguing survival of the ingenuous Tudor waterworks system.
Since its installation in the early 1500's, Coombe Conduit has undergone significant change: from the addition of further tanks in the 17th and 18th centuries, to the unfortunate damage inflicted to the upper chamber by a falling elm tree in 1943. Visitors to the site however will be relived to learn that the conduit has since undergone restoration, and now stands protected within the garden of a residential property.
© 2000 - 2018 — local.angle group, All rights reserved.lightweight